Pre-Conference Training: Windows 10 Deployment
Sunday, August 19, 2018
8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Chief Technology Officer, StarNet Solutions
Lou Melograna started in WAN technology back in the early 1990s. Since then he has worked with every major vendor in the field and has been involved in thousands of installations, troubleshoots and consulting jobs. He started StarNet Solutions 15 years ago to provide customers with a superb experience with a company that puts their customers' needs first. Our goal is to truly provide the best possible solution with the best customer service possible with open communication.
- What is Windows 10?
- Why you should upgrade (or not)?
- Advantages vs. Disadvantages
- Software considerations.
- Costs (hardware, software, Microsoft licensing, virtual licensing)
- Training needs.
- Windows 10: physical vs virtual
- On-prem vs. On-cloud.
- Investments, savings, etc.
- Hardware, technical time, deploying manually vs centralized deployment.
- What are the requirements of each?
- Pros and Cons of each.
- The best place to host? How to determine where.
- Cost Savings
- Desktop maintenance reduction
- Scalability and ease of growth.
- Ability to work remotely.
- Streamlining the workplace.
- Security aspects/concerns.
- Data protection and uptime.
- Business continuity.
- Simplified upgrades.
- Simplified migrations to the cloud.
- Time savings/technical resources reduction.
- Ease of Administration.
- Hardware savings.
- Patch maintenance reduction/release.
- User licensing.
- Technical Support.
- Deployment types, scenarios and examples.
- Discuss typical Windows 10 strategies and design
- Discuss requirements in technical depth for Windows 10 desktops and what it means for your servers, Active Directory and associated applications with proper design.
- Security considerations.
- Prerequisites: What you REALLY need to know
- Hardware requirements:
- Standalone: (Do I need a full PC)?
- Virtual: shared storage vs. local storage, SANs vs. NAS, transport technologies for speed, performance, IOPs requirements, Cloud
- Software requirements
- How to plan a deployment
- What a deployment entails/What to expect from a technical perspective and user perspective
- Deployment times (how long does it take)
- WAN considerations
- User experience
- Final cleanup and deployment
- Maintaining Windows updates and patches.
- Remote administration
3. OPEN FORUM FOR QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
*There is no cost to attend the pre-conference training, but registration is only available to GMIS MEETS conference attendees.